Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hello, my name is Jessica, and I'm a Gleek.

I may be cursing myself in just a few minutes (I'm quickly realizing how suddenly the weather can change here in Northampton) but today is the first day since arriving in England that it hasn't rained. Not one single drop. It's been beautiful and sunny all day. Unfortunately, I'm slowly going a little crazy in the hotel we're staying at. I'm very anxious to get an apartment and have a little more room to move around.

The past couple of days have been tame (AKA boring as sin) and consisted mostly of me watching the entire first season of Glee--I am now addicted to that show. It is just wonderful. I don't like walking too far since I'm unfamiliar with the area and there is really no sensible pattern to the street grid...that I can figure out. Knowing me, I could get myself lost and end up walking to Scotland. I guess I should keep in mind, if I start to see kilts, I've gone too far. Other than that, I can probably figure the rest of it out. I also got a cell phone for the time that I'm living here...I have no idea how to read the phone numbers I'm given...usually North American numbers can be read 459-4242, or whatever, with a certain rhythm to it. The numbers here are about 10 digits long, all grouped together with no dash in between to break them up. I'm going to 1)have a hard time remembering my phone number and 2)learn how to read/say a phone number aloud.

There is some absolutely amazing architecture in this part of England so I plan to spend a lot of the morning/afternoon tomorrow just walking around to see some of the sights. Of course, weather pending. I can't get over how old some of these buildings are. In the market square area, there is a church, All Saints, which dates back to the 13th century. Just up from market square, there is a building dating back to the 1700s that now houses...a Subway restaurant.

Aside from enjoying the beautiful buildings and Glee, I have also fallen in love. Yes. I realize that I have been here less than a week, but my life has been changed forever. Actually, my love & I were introduced my second night in England, and we had a second meeting last night.

Obviously, I'm talking about steak and Guinness pie.

Joel & I went to an Irish pub last night, O'Neill's, that had a pretty amazing steak and Guinness pie served by a waiter with the thickest cockney accent I've heard so far here. There is just so much to see while I'm living here (the rest of Northampton, England as a whole, the larger UK and, ultimately, as much of Europe as I can), I have no idea when I will find time to work. I guess if I want to keep steak and Guinness pies a part of my life, I will need to work to provide myself pie money.

There are so many people from back home that I know would just love it here. I wish that so many of my friends could be here with me, exploring and having fun. Again...I extend an open invitation to all who wish to take a quick trip across the pond.

If I don't post again for awhile, it's most likely because I am begging in market square with a sign saying "will teach Canadian slang for steak and Guinness pie."

No comments:

Post a Comment