Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yeah, We're Canadian...eh.

Well, it has been a couple of hours since my last (and first) post, but already I've had another great experience. What experience?

The traditional English pub experience.

Joel & I went to the Thomas A Beckett pub for supper (tea? dinner?) tonight and it was, simply, wonderful. We had a very, very friendly bartender--so friendly we sat at the bar to eat and talk with him during our meal--who was very helpful in choosing a nice mild beer, Greene King, for me to drink. I ordered the steak guinness & mushroom pie while Joel had the fish & chips. My life will never be the same. The food was amazing.

As we were waiting for our meal, I happened to glance up and see a man across the bar pointing directly at me. Now, I'm thinking, "So. This is how I die. I am about to be abducted by a bunch of Scottish men." Turns out, I was being a bit dramatic (no kidding, eh) and a man named Dennis walked over to introduce himself. He is moving to Canada in a couple of weeks and wanted to chat for a bit. He's travelled through Canada and had nothing but nice things to say. He told us the best places to live, the places to avoid altogether and lots of other helpful tips. He said it was his "fatherly side" coming out and wanted us to do well. He gave us his mobile number to contact him if we want advice or any of our questions answered. He invited us back to visit anytime or to call him if we needed anything.

The bartender & I chatted for a bit and he made my entire night when he said that he could probably get NHL games during the hockey season. I have found my second home. He also invited Joel & I back to watch the socc--I mean, football--match on Saturday afternoon and plans to teach me the rules...as it is painfully obvious that I am completely clueless when it comes to the rules. Or the teams. On the way out. another man stopped us and offered us a viewing of a house that he just bought and plans to rent out.

A successful second day, with high hopes for the third.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog friend!!!!!!! I would KILL for a decent beer and pub food readily available, there is one place in Daegu that I have found thus far but, to have one close...I am jealous. Happy that the locals are treating you and Joel well!! Play safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend! (A very delayed response!!!) I hope that you are still having a grand adventure and I miss your blog updates!!

    ReplyDelete