Monday, February 14, 2011

Everywhere I Look Around...

Happy Valentines Day! Oh love is in the air....and all around my school. Honestly..I know it makes me sound old when I say "back in my day" but...back in my day, I really don't remember showing that much affection in public. It honestly looks like some of the young couples at my school have one day left to live and are determined to suck enough face to last a lifetime. Gross.

"Luckily" (...I'm still undecided on this one) I wasn't left out of the Valentines spree.
The card is from my Nan & Gramp...which is fine. The roses, on the other hand, come to me from a boy in my tutor group. Some students were doing a fundraiser selling roses for Valentines day and I made a joke in front of my tutor group saying how I was so wonderful I expected them to buy me roses...and then little so-and-so actually showed up with these. Yikes.

--On a side note, I wore my hair straightened and in a ponytail today for the first time all year. I don't usually bother straightening my hair for work as it's easier to let it go curly...well today I walked in with straight hair and 90% of my students almost lost it. I had a Year 7 girl start petting my hair...a Year 9 boy tell me I looked 14 and about 25 kids walk in and go "woah! What the hell?!"...apparently, I need to start making my students aware that I am going to make a slight change to my hairstyle. I did have a kid ask me if I straightened my hair because of Valentines day...(still can't figure that one out).

One thing I'm still not quite accustomed to here in England is the mild climate. Save for that stupid snowstorm at Christmas time (Heathrow, you are still on my black list), the weather here has been amazingly mild compared to home.


See? This is what it looks like in mid-February! (Not the best shot, but I didn't want to rile up the seagulls you can see on the field)
No snow on the ground, not even a hint of frost. And the trees are already starting to bud out!! I can't believe it. It's still the middle of winter at home and I'm walking to school with just a light spring coat on. Granted, my colleagues still think that it's frigid out and laugh when I comment on how mild it is, but this is April-type weather back home! Having it +7 or +8 everyday is wonderful :)
Heading to Ireland this weekend and I couldn't be more excited!! Here's to hoping the last week before mid-term break goes by fast and without incident (yeah, right, as if that will happen...but I can still hope)!

2 comments:

  1. i miss the mildness of the UK! also i am typing this as i sit on my couch on my 5th? 6th? snow day since school started in january, watching the BLIZZARD outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God I miss snow days!! I'm enjoying the mild UK weather, but I would've killed for a couple snow days in mid-January!

    ReplyDelete