Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where to Begin.

I'm sitting here, looking at what I have written so far for my maid of honour speech and I can't help but think "where do I start?" I have about 5 minutes to try and explain how much my sister means to me and express all of the blessings and love that I have for her and Kristian.

It's a lot of pressure!

I don't even know where to begin. Looking back on all my earliest memories, Sarah is there. As she always has been. Throughout all of the good, bad, stable and chaotic moments, Sarah has been constant. She is one of the most wonderful and amazing people that I know. I tell my students that they will truly love their brothers and sisters--someday. I've come to realize this now. I consider Sarah to be one of my best friends and I'm so lucky that she's my sister.

What do I include in my toast to her? The story of Sarah telling me to take my Flinstones vitamins when we were kids? Her telling me what clothes to wear, sending me back to my room to change until I was wearing something that wasn't cringe-worthy? About how, until around the age of 13, she could intimidate me by using the "don't make me count to 3. Ok...1...2...." routine? All the times we laughed until my stomach hurt? All the times she was the one to hug me and comfort me when I was crying--whether it was because of a boy, bad dream or anything else?

I better get started now...don't want to give away all the good stuff before the big day! To end this post (and bout of writers block), I'll just say that if my speech conveys just how much I love my sister and if I get a few laughs along the way--and if I make it through without crying like a baby--then I'll consider that a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment