Thursday, December 22, 2011

Like Night & Day

This best describes my experience getting home for Christmas this year. Compared to last year, I had a dream trip. The last week of term seemed to drag by a little bit. I wish that the show had been only the week before so I'd only have one musical-free week to contend with. Either way, classes came and went and I impatiently counted down the days, hours and minutes until I was able to come home.

As excited as I was, I really procrastinated on the whole 'packing' thing and finished that a healthy 10 hours prior to departure. Well...8 hours. Ok, 15 minutes before Nikki picked me up at 4AM on Saturday morning. Either way, I was packed and out the door at 4AM. Some mile-long traffic queues aside, the drive to Heathrow was very uneventful.

Drop off, check baggage, security check, one last English breakfast and I was on my way home! An hour delayed leaving Heathrow but, compared to a 72 hour delay last year, it didn't even matter. I was sitting next to a guy who was 6'6 on the flight and the poor man looked like he hated his life. He was wedged into that seat so tightly it looked like his back was welded to it. Pretty sure he was jealous of my 5'2 self and all the ample leg room I was privy to. Gotta admit, it makes 8 hour flights much more comfortable. (Wouldn't have minded another upgrade, mind you.)

My layover in Boston was uneventful. It was really great to meet up with Sarah & Kristian and have company for the final leg of the journey. We all fell asleep on the flight to Presque Isle which was absolutely freezing...a nice little preview for the weather waiting for us in the true north strong and free(zing). Dad & Susanne were waiting to pick us up and it was only an hour after landing that I was sitting on the couch with my Dad watching hockey for the first time in months. I was home :).

The next day was a family dinner in Fredericton and I got to enjoy my first Tim Hortons coffee & Timbits on the way. Aaaaamazing. It was nice to see all the family again and eat so much I felt like I could've been rolled home.

The rest of my holiday has been spent with family and catching up with friends. Lots of hockey, coffee & snow. It has been just perfect :). 3 days until Christmas and it's been a great holiday so far. Looking forward to the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment