Saturday, December 31, 2011

So Long, Farewell...

So here it is, my 75th post on my blog, and I find myself saying goodbye, yet again. It's the last day of my vacation home, I head back to England tomorrow and start work on Tuesday morning. (Thank God I don't teach until Wednesday morning, the jetlag will be bad enough on Tuesday for staff training.)

This holiday has been full of friends, family, coffee, hockey, snow, lots of food and times that I'll always cherish. This is a rather reflective post already, look at me go. Saying goodbye seems much harder this time then when I left in July. There are many people, and some in particular, that I am going to miss so much when I'm so far away from home. This is the part about living abroad that I don't like. I know that I'm supposed to appreciate being home even more because I get here so rarely, but saying goodbye and leaving these people behind...it never gets easier.

Instead of an all-inclusive and detailed list of every single thing I did over the holiday, I'll sum it up with: family dinners, late-night drives & movies, coffee, hockey, snow, family, friends, saying goodbye, laughing and crying, and talk about 'what comes next.' I'll be home in the summer, I keep saying, and yet that seems so far away. 7 whole months. I know I'm so lucky to be able to live in Europe, travel and see so many amazing places...but I have given up a lot. I've left a lot of people and things behind that I never realize how much I miss until I'm faced with saying goodbye, yet again. The goodbyes never seem to get easier, just more numerous in number.

So, Happy New Year to friends on both sides of the ocean. Due to the winter weather (that I admit, I missed a lot), I have to stay home tonight. I wish I could ring 2012 in very differently, but I've already had my kiss & that'll have to do. So, all my friends, I'll be back in 7 months...hope you'll still be waiting when I get back. I already miss & love everyone; all those I saw and spent (not enough) time with, and those who I didn't get to see this visit home. I'll be back soon, please know my heart is with you all when I leave tomorrow.

England, be warned...I'm gonna be one cranky little Canadian come Monday morning when I touch down in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment