Saturday, March 26, 2011

And So the Hunt Begins.

I am in the market for a new roommate. While I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few months of living alone, I have realized that if I want to keep travelling at every half-term and long weekend (and go back to Canada twice a year), it would probably be pretty handy to have someone help out with the bills. So, the hunt is on for a roommate that:
--Is considerate
--Is mature, responsible, dependable
--A nonsmoker
--Won't steal my stuff or annoy the life out of me on a daily basis
And, the little things that matter so much...you know, not have any prior murder convictions, no restraining orders taken out against them, be able to speak the same language, not lurk around the apartment like Dracula looking for his next victim...

I met with one guy who came to view the place. My last roommate requirement (actually, the previous 2) were made with him in mind. This man, Ivan, shows up and he spoke no English, despite contacting me in flawless English. A nice little surprise for me. He also looked like something out of A)a Hannibal movie or B)a Stephen King book. The guy gave me the downright creeps. He was out as soon as possible and I told my doorman to not let him in if he sees him again. Creeeeeep. I've met with 2 other people so far, with some more prospects available. Fingers crossed!

School-related items now: I have an interview this coming Wednesday for my job at Malcolm Arnold to become a permanent post. It looks like I may have the potential to be kicking around England for the next few years. I'm looking forward to my interview, but I wish it were Monday morning so I could get it done and over with!

The drama club has just begun rehearsals on the school musical, We Will Rock You. I am sooo excited and so happy that my faculty head asked me to help out. I really miss being involved in drama and choir--this combines the best of both worlds! The show will go up the first week of December--a long way away, I realize, but it will be worth it in the long run. (And, the school has to hire me back now! I need to see We Will Rock You through until opening night!)

Onto the more fun things in life...I leave for Paris & Norway in 15 days! A 6-day trip to Paris followed up by a 9 day trip to Norway and that makes for one hell of a half-term holiday! I am very excited to go and excited to get even more stamps on my passport :).

I had very good intentions of making this a really productive day and, somewhere in the middle of the naps and Corner Gas marathon, that hasn't exactly come to pass. I have finished marking my books and plan to get Monday's lessons all planned before bed tonight. And I did some errands around town...so that kinda counts. Right now, however, I am sitting in my dark apartment marking Earth Hour. No planning possible in the dark!...Does being on my laptop defeat the purpose of Earth Hour? It's battery-powered if that makes it any better.

I think I can also safely say that spring has arrived in England. The better part of the last week saw temperatures around 15 or 16 degrees and sunny every day. The weather is beautiful here and I plan to enjoy it before the rain sets in again. I still miss the snow and cold from back home, but I have to admit I am enjoying the sunshine months earlier than I'm used to!

The next post will be one of three things:

--A celebratory note that I have found a roommate that is not a certified creeper
--A celebratory note about a successful job interview or,
--A farewell letter to England because I was not rehired and, in a fit of rage, I burned down my school and ran away to Norway. Don't tell the cops.


PS--Happy election season Canada! I'm registering to vote from abroad and I am excited to help take part in the downfall of Harper and his minions. Hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. If you burn down the school will you still come back from Norway with hornsalt? Love from...guess who? Someone with a sense of priority!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I perhaps should have taken into consideration that I have colleagues who can access my blog before I declared that the result of me not being hired is to torch the school...oops.

    I will always keep England stocked with hornsalt and lefse. That will be my legacy!

    ReplyDelete