Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's Been...

11 days since I landed in Canada.
6 days since the kegger.
5 days since I welcomed my brother-in-law into the family and watched my sister get married to a marvelous man and...
4 days since I woke up and realized staying up until 5AM with a bunch of Norwegians made for a very sore head the next morning.

My trip to Canada was uneventful--save for my passport being flagged and being put on a no-fly list in Toronto on the way home...somehow, I knew that it would happen to me eventually. A phone call later (and me about to get hysterical), I was on my way home. Because of mechanical problems, we turned around and headed back to Toronto for attempt number two. 3 hours delayed, overheating from the humidity and carrying a dress that felt like it weight about 1000 pounds, I was home.

No time to relax--there was a wedding to get ready for! I was so excited to meet my little niece, Bella, for the first time, see my eldest niece, Madi, and visit with my family again. The weekend was full of family and anticipating the arrival of Kristian's family on Monday. Tuesday evening, we had a big family dinner and, towards the end, we had a fantastic surprise when Beth and Rod, old and dear friends of the family, walked in unexpected. Sarah & I both started to cry (such girls eh) and we spent the rest of the night hugging, laughing and telling old stories.

Wednesday saw the combined bachelor/bachelorette kegger down in Fredericton. It started off with a reunion of the Canadians & Norwegians and the bridesmaids and groomsmen meeting each other. We all quickly realized that the bridesmaids were going to be dwarfed by the groomsmen. The best man, my date, was 6'3 and he was the shortest of the bunch. We all trooped off to Kingswood for some bumper bellies (big inflatable donuts worn around the waist and you had to smash the opponent out of the ring. After seeing Sarah do a face-plant, I declined to join in), bowling and lazer tag--my new love. I have become slightly addicted to lazer tag and had lots of fun; this doesn't really fit with my 'hate to be chased and have people jump out at me' personality. We headed back into town for the kegger and I saw Brett again for the first time in a year. Some beers, unwise games of knuckles, and some of the bridal party getting a crash-course in Norwegian later, the party was over. It was a good time, laid-back and nice to catch up with everyone.

Thursday was a big 'prep' day--we headed back home in the morning from Fredericton and got busy finalizing details, making phone calls, touching up on my maid of honour speech, getting clothes and everything together and heading back to Fredericton in the late afternoon. We had a final rehearsal with the bridal party at the chapel and I caught up with Andrew. It was nice to see him & catch up about everything.

Friday--the big day. Up early with the rest of the girls and preparation began. We got our hair done and hung out in the salon until everyone was finished. I checked on the ballroom for the reception, moved Sarah's wedding dress upstairs (with strict orders to Kristian to not come within eyesight) and, when everyone was ready, it was time to get ready to get Sarah married! We ordered some food up to the suite, drank some champagne, and got dressed. We got Sarah into her dress (after she was in it, I hugged her and cried haha) and headed downstairs for some quick pictures as we were running a tad behind schedule. Up to STU, into the chapel and then I watched my sister marry a wonderful man. After the ceremony (and several bouts of happy tears), more pictures were taken around the STU campus before heading back to the Delta for the reception.

As my feet were killing me and felt on the verge of falling off, I decided to change into some more comfortable shoes for the dinner & dance. The bridal party danced our way into the room to Start me Up followed by the happy couple, dancing in to Another One Bites the Dust....it was lots of fun. Wine & appetizers were served and, before I knew it, I was up in front of dozens of people giving my toast. I made it through the entire thing without crying and my Norwegian parts went off quite well, if I do say so myself (please don't ask the Norwegians what I actually sounded like). Dinner came and went and then Jon Einar, Sarah, Kristian, Dad & Susanne gave their speeches. I lasted until Dad started to talk before I began to cry...it was so touching and so nice...the same with Susanne's, Sarah & Kristian's.

Following dinner came the dance, which included lots of dances with Madi and a dance-off with the bridal party (I won, hands down). The last songs of the night were played and Per showed off his dance skills, which definitely put me to shame. After the dance ended and the bar closed, we all headed upstairs where we continued to celebrate until just past 5 in the morning.

Way too many drinks of gin, a painful round of knuckles with Brett and too many Norwegian jokes later, I was walked to my room and seen safely to bed :) ....for a few short hours.

We had friends & family to the house on Sunday and started saying the goodbyes shortly after. Throughout the past week, the house has become more and more empty and, I would say quieter, but with 2 little girls still here, definitely not. We've taken Madi swimming, gone shopping and just spent time together. It's been so fantastic and I can't believe that I have to say goodbye in a couple of days. I go back to England in a couple weeks and then head to Norway to celebrate my birthday. Lots to look forward to :)

I've had the chance to catch up with old friends and spend some quality time with my family. It's been a fantastic holiday & I wish it didn't have to end. Well, to bed to bed, I suppose. I have a niece that promised to wake me up when she got up in the morning :)

See you soon England & see you soon Norway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment