Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Inevitable

It finally happened. The day that I never thought would come. The inevitable finally happened.

I had to take a sick day off work.

I grew up and saw my parents go to work every single day. I can remember, only once, ever seeing my father take a sick day from work. I was taught that if you can move, you can go to work or go to school. Perhaps not in so many words, but that's the essential work ethic my father showed me. He is an amazing worker and puts so much effort into his job. No idea how in the hell it rubbed off on me.

Blech. That sums up this past week for me. About a week & 1/2 ago, I noticed that I was feeling a little tired, not quite myself. I figured I could sleep it off, but with 3 rehearsals a week (including an all-day Saturday rehearsal), working, and getting the final details in place for the show, time for sleep was limited. Last Sunday morning, wonderful Nikki made the decision for me and took me to the hospital.

Nice & medicated, I headed to work Monday morning, and lasted a full 50 minutes of teaching before I knew it wasn't going to be a good thing if I stayed. I headed home, slept and did nothing for the rest of the day. I worked Tuesday and regretted it. I stayed home Wednesday and accomplished very little, aside from going to see the doctor (again). It was a hard decision to stay home. When I finally called Nikki to say I wouldn't be coming into work, as I went to put down my phone, I heard her say to her husband, "well she's finally admitted that she's sick!"...Apparently everyone knew it but me.

More medicine, some painkillers, and that all makes concentrating at work very difficult. I repeatedly called trees 'carrots' in class the other day. I think the green tops confused me.

Not much else is happening except for prep for the show. In 3 weeks time, it will all be over. I can't believe the last 8 months of work has finally come down to the final few weeks. I'm excited, but it will be sad to see it done and over with. I'm telling you right now, I plan on celebrating by sleeping. It's gonna be so sexy.

And, as is my apparent routine, an updated countdown: 35 days until I go home for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment