Saturday, January 7, 2012

Long Road Home

So here I am, back in England, and it's been just less than a week since I've left home. I really miss home, I miss my friends and family, I miss the people that mean so much to me.

My first flight from Presque Isle took off from an icy runway and landed safely in Boston. Had just enough time for some Skype, last minute gifts and buy some supper before I boarded my connecting flight to Philadelphia. After boarding my flight to Philadelphia, the captain came over the speaker system to say that there would be a slight delay and he would update us when more information became available.

...3 hours later, bored and wondering what the hell was going on, the captain told us that there was a mechanical problem with one of the engines, a replacement part was in New York and by the time it arrived in Philly, the plane was fixed and we were on our way, the crew would have exceeded their legal amount of working hours. Long story short...flight was cancelled, get off the plane and come back tomorrow night. We were given hotel vouchers...which were cancelled by the hotels about 15 minutes later.

It's about 2 in the morning, and I'm dragging around a 50 pound suitcase that is half as tall as me. I'm tired, I'm cranky and I just want somewhere to sleep. I ended up getting a room in the hotel airport, sharing with the guy I had been sitting next to on the plane. It was about 10 minutes into this when I realized that having a strange man staying in the same room with me was definitely the stupidest idea I'd had so far into 2012. Woke up the next morning with all vital organs intact, which I was definitely happy about. Oskar (my Norwegian roommate for the night) left to go see his girlfriend and I spent the day passing the time until it was time to board my final flight.

Made it back to England, and arrived back in Northampton around 2 in the afternoon. I missed staff training on Tuesday, and have spent the last few days trying to catch up on sleep and get adjusted to the time...oh, and working somewhere in between there. It felt great to finally get some sleep this morning. Seems like it's back to normal here.

193 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment