Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Uuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh.

There. That has been my day. Make that noise out loud and that has summed up Wednesday for me.

Work was busy today and, for whatever reason, I was just off. Just not all there, in a bit of an alright mood, but I'm not really a fan of Wednesday's. I have a tough class to finish the day and this week has been quite busy at school as the Year 11s are starting their exams and 2 of the earliest were the 2 English exams that my class had to sit.

Going into the exam, my students were nervous. They were unsure of the content, they didn't know how to answer the questions and I hear a lot of "Miss, I just...can't." It's not for lack of ability or lack of knowledge...the kids know it. They just don't know that they know it. I had a boy come in for help after school yesterday and he looked so upset about the thought of the exam. But, looking at his behaviour in class and the way he carries himself, you'd never think he'd be rocked by the thought of an English exam. But, he was. I felt so awful, I wish that I could sit the exam with them, give them all the help they wanted.

I talked with a colleague of mine about how I was feeling and she was saying that if I was a good teacher (since when did that happen??), I would feel like this. I would genuinely care about the students as people, worry about their feelings, care about their success and want them to do well--not because it would look good on me, but because you want the students to feel proud of their accomplishments. I repeat...ugggggggggh.

Aside from stressing for the year 11s about their exams, it was just a hectic day overall. Glad it's over...and it's onto Thursday!

PS, a very happy birthday to my wonderful dad!! Hope that he has a fantastic day :).

2 comments:

  1. You are a good teacher. I've worked with many and you're up there with the best xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you are making me blush. I honestly wouldn't have survived (and wouldn't continue to survive!!!) without such an amazing faculty. You are wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete