Sunday, May 15, 2011

What's Been Going On?

12 more days! Not very long until I head back to Norway for yet another trip. Nothing of much interest has happened in the last couple of weeks, aside from lots of school and WWRY. I went on a school trip down to the West End to see the professional production of We Will Rock You and it was amazing! I had so much fun and it was great to see the show live to give me something to go by. I'm hoping that the Malcolm Arnold production of WWRY lives up, even if its just a fraction, to its West End counterpart.

I went to a Eurovision party at a colleague's home last night. It was so cheesy and awful, it was deliciously good. Eurovision, for those unawares, is a singing competition between the European nations, where one group/singer is chosen to represent their country in order to win a prize. After lots of cringe-worthy songs and some shocking outfits, the noble nation of Azerbaijan took the top spot. (I already saved you the trouble of Googling where the hell Azerbaijan is...it's a tiny country located on the coast of the Caspian Sea. Think Eastern Europe...you're getting close.) Following that, I met up with Aran's girlfriend, the marvelous Plamina, at a party hosted by one of her band mates. Tired as I was, it's always a good thing to meet new people.

On Tuesday, it will mark my 9-month anniversary here in England. I was told that it's at the 6-month point that a place really starts to feel like home. Does Northampton feel like that to me already? Not a chance. I've come to really enjoy being here, and I love living in Europe, but Northampton doesn't come close to home. Now that Aran (my new roommate) has moved in and settled, it's definitely better having him here and having someone to talk to and spend time with, but I still find that I see England as a temporary stay.

I'm not sure what is to come in the next couple of years. I have been hired on, long term, at MAA, so I do have the option of staying on, if I so choose to do. If England is to become a more permanent home, I have lots of things to consider...moving into my own place (one I can comfortably afford), getting a car (learning to drive on the wrong side of the road!), applying for citizenship...learning to like Marmite? Just kidding. That will never, ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment