Sunday, June 26, 2011

For Lack of a Witty Title...27 Days to Go!

...I already think I used that title, while counting down yet another return to Canada. I swear, by all that's holy and by all the Irish cider in the United Kingdom, if any snowstorms, volcanoes, airline strikes or being (falsely, I assure you) accused of treason against the Queen prevent me from getting on that plane the morning of July 23...heads are gonna roll (Lizzie, I'm lookin' at your bejewelled head first).

Today was a most marvellous day of days. A group of us headed to Ravensthorpe to spend the day sitting in the breeze off a lovely lake (my, I'm full of alliteration tonight). I didn't think to take pictures while I was there and it just finally occurred to me on the drive back through the countryside that reminded me so much of home.

Now that I'm creeping up on the one-year mark of living in England, I'm really starting to realize that England isn't so different after all. While some stereotypes do definitely hold true --man those British are serious about their tea!!--there have been many pleasant surprises. It can go days, even a full week, without raining! While I still find the driving-in-the-opposite-direction thing confusing as hell, England is starting to become more familiar to me. I am sure there are plenty other that I could list on here, much to the delight of my new-found fans in Germany and Poland (really? Who do I know in Germany?...or Poland?), but my day out in the sunshine has left me shattered--there, a little English slang for you. There is plenty different about Canada and the UK, but I am slowly starting to learn my way through the cultural gap.

Nice as that may be, I am more than ready to get back to Canada for a vacation! Watch out Tim Hortons, driving-on-the-right-side-of-the-road and lemon gin, I'm comin' home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment